- 4 Medium karela
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2 tbsp Besan
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 Inch fresh ginger
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 3 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1/2 Cup water
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Scrap the karelas a little.
- Peel the ginger, onions and garlic.
- Make a cut on karela on one side from start to end.
- Boil karelas, onion, ginger, garlic with a pinch of salt and water in a pressure cooker.
- Cook it till one whistle.
- If boiling in a pan, then take more water and cook till the karelas are tender enough and drain the excess water from it.
- Grind the boiled ginger, onion, and garlic.
- Take a pan and heat 3 tbsp oil in it and place mustard seed to splutter.
- Now combine the ground paste, chili powder, mustard powder, tamarind paste, salt and half of the turmeric powder, coriander powder, and cumin powder with it.
- Cook it for some minutes until the paste starts to leave oil in the pan.
- Combine besan, rest of the turmeric powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl to make a thick paste.
- Now open the slits of karela and fill the stuffing.
- Take a pan and heat oil in it.
- Dip the stuffed karela one by one in the besan paste and fry it in the hot oil till golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil in the paper towel and serve.