Coq Au Vin
- 8 Joints free range chicken, on the bone and skin removed
- 5 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 25 gm Butter
- 500 ml Red wine
- 150 gm shallots, peeled but left whole
- 150 gm Streaky bacon, cut thickly
- 350 gm Button mushrooms
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 500 ml Chicken stock
- Small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove and add almost all the butter, shallots and garlic to it.
- Cook gently till just browned and combine the bacon and thyme with it and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, turn up the flame and add the red wine, chicken stock and vinegar to it.
- Combine the chicken pieces with it and bring the sauce to the boil.
- Now simmer gently for about 25 minutes till the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the parsley, salt, peeper, together with a knob of butter.