- 3 Pounds assorted fish, cut up
- 4 Slices bacon cut short strips
- 2 Fish heads, tie in
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1 tsp White pepper, ground
- 3 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Big potato peeled and sliced thin
- 1-1/2 quarts Water
- 2 tsp Salt
- Place bacon in 3-quart pan on medium flame and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or till onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine water, fish heads, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper with it.
- Raise the flame to high and bring it to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the fish heads from broth and decrease the flame to medium.
- Add potato and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add assorted fish to it and cook for 5 minutes longer or till fish is done.
- Remove the bay leaves and pour into soup tureen.
- Serve cotriade with croutons on side.