- 3 oz Portuguese roll or a 7-inch piece of baguette, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 8 Anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
- 1 Garlic clove, halved lengthwise
- 3 Hearts of romaine, leaves separated but left whole
- 1 oz Parmigiano reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup extra-virgin olive oil or as needed
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Peeper to taste
- Season the salad bowl by rubbing a cut half of garlic and 1 tsp oil onto the bottom and side of the bowl, reserve the garlic.
- Heat the oil with both halves of the reserved garlic on moderately high flame, turning garlic till golden for about 1 to 2 minutes and then discard the garlic.
- Add bread cubes and fry, turning occasionally, till golden on all sides for about 2 minutes.
- Place the croutons to the paper towels to drain.
- Pour oil through a small fine-mesh sieve into the heatproof measuring cup and add sufficient additional olive oil to total 6 tbsp.
- Place the anchovies in the salad bowl and mash it to make a fine paste.
- Whisk in egg and lemon juice, then add reserved oil, warm or at room temperature in a slow stream, whisking till emulsified and combine salt with it.
- Combine romaine leaves with the dressing and toss to coat.
- Add croutons to it and toss for a moment.
- Sprinkle the salad with cheese and pepper.