- 1 Cup white wine
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley stems
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsleys leaves
- 1 tsp. Whole black peppercorns
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 2 Chopped shallots
- 1/2 Cup chopped tarragon stems
- 1 /2 Cup butter
- 1 Cup white wine vinegars
- 1 LEmon
- Put white wine, white wine vinegar, parsley, tarragon stems, shallots, peppercorns and red pepper flakes in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until liquid has reduced to 1/2 cup and then strain the liquid into another container.
- Meanwhile, bring about two inches of water to a simmer for a double boiler.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat until completely melted.
- Skim off and discard the white foam that rises to the top.
- Ladle off and reserve the clear yellow liquid in the middle (this is clarified butter) and discard the milky liquid that has fallen to the bottom.
- Place the egg yolks in a medium metal bowl or in the bowl of a double boiler and whisk together.
- While whisking the egg yolks continuously, place the bowl over the simmering water for about 20 or 30 seconds, and then remove it and whisk for a few seconds.
- Repeat.The key is to heat the yolks up slowly so that they don't scramble.
- Keep whisking until the yolks get firmer.
- Look for the ribbon stage, when they're firm enough that you can lift the whisk out of the yolks and put some back onto the surface, forming a ribbon like pattern that lasts for a few moments before sinking back into the yolks.
- When this stage is reached, slowly drizzle in some of the melted clarified butter while whisking constantly.
- When a ladle or two of butter has been added, begin alternating between the melted butter and the vinegar mixture.
- When the mixture has thickened and begins resembling a sauce, season with salt, add the chopped tarragon and parsley leaves and begin tasting.
- If too sour, whisk in more melted butter. If not tart enough, squeeze in some lemon juice.
- If too thick, whisk in some hot water. Keep in a warm place until ready to use.
- Béarnaise Sauce is ready.