- 1/2 Cup puff pastry dough
- 8 x 4 inches Square sheets
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Water
- 2 Round pastry cutters (3-7/8 inches & 2-1/4 inches)
- Parchment paper
- Flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Roll the puff pastry dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Divide the dough into 8 squares of 4 inches sides.
- Place the squares on tray with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30mintues
- Mixed together egg yolk and1 tbsp water, to make the egg wash.
- To build Vol au Vent, using a pastry cutters, cut two circles of 3-7/8 inches in diameter in two pastry square. .
- Brush one with egg wash; cut into the centre of the second one a circle of 2-1/4 inch, to obtain a ring.
- Place the ring on the top of the first circle, edge to edge.
- Place on tray with parchment paper underneath, refrigerate.
- Repeat the operation for the following Vol-au-vent.
- When ready, brush slightly with egg wash and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool and remove lid and scoop out the inside to form a pastry case.
- Vol-au-vent is ready.