French Onion Soup
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 3 Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp White sugar
- 1 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup red wine
- 2 (10.5 ounce) Cans condensed beef broth
- 8 Ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- Melt butter or margarine in a 4 quarter saucepan.
- Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onions.
- Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf.
- Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) just until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into four oven safe bowls.
- Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl.
- Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted.
- French Onion soup is ready.