- 1-1/4 Cups dried pinto beans
- 4 Pounds pork spareribs
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) Cans beef broth
- 4 Cups water
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sort and wash the beans.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the beans and enough water to be 2 inches above beans.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Cover; allow soaking for 1 hour and drain.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, sauté the ribs in oil until browned. Remove ribs from Dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the beans, broth, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, ground black pepper and fresh cilantro to the ribs.
- Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove the ribs; allow cooling and removing meat from the bones.
- Return meat to broth.
- Chill the broth until the fat rises to the surface and remove the fat.
- Bring back to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Guadalajara Soup is ready.