- 1 White fish, cut into 4 pieces (30mm chunks)
- 2 tsp Ginger, shredded
- 2 tsp Green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Panch phoron (equal parts of whole cumin, fennel, fenugreek, nigella and mustard seeds)
- 150 ml Water
- Mustard oil, for frying
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok and fry the fish for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Make a fine paste of ginger, chili, turmeric and mustard seeds, with a little water, in the food processor/mixi.
- Heat oil in a pan and add panch phoron.
- When the seeds crackle, add the mustard paste and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the while.
- Add fish and rest of the water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with boiled rice.
- Machher Jhol is ready.