- 9 Ounces cream cheese
- 1 Cup butter
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 3 Egg whites
- 8 Ounces ground walnuts
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 1/3 Cup confectioners' sugar, for decoration
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and cheese.
- Stir in the egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture a little at a time, until it is fully incorporated.
- Divide dough into 5 parts, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add sugar, a little at a time, while continuing to beat to stiff peaks.
- Fold in ground walnuts and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut into 3 inch squares, place 1/2 tsp filling in the center of each square and roll up from corner to corner.
- Place on cookie sheets and refrigerate until hardened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Roll in confectioners' sugar when cool.
- Hungarian Kifli is ready.