- 7 Ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 3 Eggs, separated
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
- 2 1/2 Cups boiling water
- Spray a 9-inch cake tin with cooking oil spray.
- Beat cream cheese with milk to soften.
- Add half of the sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch and lemon juice to the beaten cream cheese.
- Beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites separately, in a medium sized bowl, until fluffy.
- Gradually, add the remaining sugar and the cream of tartar to the egg whites, beating on high speed until soft peaks form (about 8-10 minutes).
- Gradually fold beaten egg whites into the cream cheese mixture, stirring gently.
- Pour into cake pan and smooth the surface.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cake pan into a larger roasting pan and place in the lower rack of oven.
- Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come half way up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Japanese Cheesecake is ready.