Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
- 2 Cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tsp Yeast extract spread
- 1/2 Cup dry lentils
- 1/4 Cup pearl barley
- 1 Large carrot, diced
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 Potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 tsp All-purpose flour
- Water, as required
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large saucepan over medium-low heat and put 1 cup broth, yeast extract, lentils and barley in it. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup broth, carrot, onion and walnuts.
- Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and water and stir into carrot mixture. Simmer until thickened.
- Combine carrot mixture with lentil mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over the mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake the mixture in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.
- Vegetarian Shepherds Pie is ready.