- 1 Cup rice (washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
- 1 Cup masoor dal (washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp Channa dal (washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Green cardamoms
- 1" Stick cinnamon
- 3 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 10-12 Tiny onions, peeled
- 10-12 Baby potatoes, washed clean
- 1/2 Cup peas, shelled
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Garlic, grated
- 3-4 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 5 Cups water
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- Chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- Curd and chutney, to serve
- Drain dals and rice in a colander and keep aside.
- Semi crush spices (cardamom, cinnamon and cloves).
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a large heavy skillet.
- Add cumin seeds, bayleaf and crushed spices.
- Add ginger, garlic and chilies. Stir-fry for a moment.
- Add onions and potatoes (with skin). Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot, peas, turmeric, garam masala and salt.
- Add dals and rice. Gently stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add water.
- Stir, bring to a boil, cover and simmer till done.
- When done, pour remaining ghee and sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Serve piping hot, with curd and chutney.
- Bangla Khichdi is ready.