- 1 Chicken, cleaned and cut
- 1 kg Mutton, minced
- 2 Cups clarified butter
- 4 Big sized onions, minced
- 1/4 kg Curd (yoghurt)
- 1/2 kg Rice
- 1/2 tsp Saffron
- Few sliced and fried almonds
- 4 Bay leaves
- 1" Cinnamon piece
- 5 Cloves
- 5 Cardamoms
- 5 Peppercorns
- 3 Garlic pods
- 1" Ginger piece
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Grind garlic, ginger, chili powder, coriander, turmeric and cumin powder to a fine paste.
- Now heat 4 tbsp ghee and fry 2 onions till brown.
- Add half of the whole spices and then add chicken and meat. Let it brown.
- Add ground spices and fry for a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups hot water cover and cook till chicken is tender.
- Beat the curd with saffron and add to chicken.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Now heat the remaining ghee and fry bay leaves and the remaining whole spices.
- Add remaining onions and brown them well.
- Add rice and fry till brown.
- Add enough water to cook rice and add salt.
- Spread a layer of rice on a flat serving dish and then a layer of meat.
- Repeat with one more layer of each.
- Garnish with almonds.
- Mughlai Pulao is ready.