- 3 Cups basmati rice
- 6 Cloves
- 3 Medium-piece cinnamons
- 3-4 Cardamoms
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Bunch coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Coconut, grated
- 1 Cup paneer, grated
- 1 Cup ghee
- 3-4 Green chilies
- 2-3 Garlic cloves
- Small piece ginger
- 1/2 Cup green peas
- 1/2 tsp White pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Few drops of orange color
- Divide rice into 2/3 and 1/3, i.e. 2 cups separately and 1 cup separately.
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in water for 30 min.
- In a pan, put 1 tbsp ghee and add cloves, cinnamons and cardamoms.
- Strain 2/3 rice (2 cups) and add to it. Fry for 2 min.
- Add double the amount (4 cups) of water, stir, cover and cook till 3/4th done. Pick with a fork to separate the grains.
- Separate the remaining ghee into 3 parts.
- For the White Layer:-
- Heat one part of ghee in a pan and add chopped onions. Fry till transparent.
- Add the grated paneer, salt and white pepper. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add half of the cooked rice and mix well.
- For the Green Layer:-
- Grind together coriander leaves, coconut, green chilies, ginger and garlic.
- Heat the next part of ghee. Add jeera and ground paste. Sauté for a while.
- Next, add green peas, salt and 1 tbsp water. Sauté and cover. Cook till the green peas get cooked.
- Add remaining part of cooked rice and mix well.
- For the orange layer:-
- Heat the remaining ghee and add the grated carrot. Sauté till cooked.
- Add the 1/3rd soaked rice and fry for a while.
- Add the orange juice, 1 cup water, salt and a few drops of orange color and cook the rice, covered, till done.
- Final Preparation:
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and grease it with ghee.
- First spread the orange rice fully in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese.
- Next spread the white rice.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese over it.
- Finally, add the green rice and cover.
- Keep the heat on low and cook for 10 min.
- After a few min, invert the rice on the serving dish.
- Enjoy it with raita and papad.
- Tiranga Pulao is ready.