Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1/4 pound sliced Bacon (cut crosswise into thin strips)
- 3 pounds Baked Potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 4-½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1-½ cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup Chives or Scallion Tops (chopped)
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan, over moderate heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Reduce the heat to moderately low.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, or for about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, water, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, i.e. for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove half the soup from the pan and puree it in a food processor.
- Return the puree to the pan. Over low heat, add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Taste the soup and add more salt if needed. Serve the soup topped with the bacon and chives.