- 1/2 cup Red Candied Cherries (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest (finely shredded)
- 1/2 cup Mixed Candied Fruit
- 1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
- 2-1/2 cups Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Star Anise (crushed)
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Take butter or margarine in a large bowl and beat it using an electric mixer on a medium to high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking powder and star anise. Again beat thoroughly to mix them well.
- Now beat in whole eggs and egg yolk.
- Beat in the flour as much as possible with the mixture.
- Stir in remaining flour, candied fruits, and orange peel with a spoon and divide the dough in half.
- Shape each half into an 11x2x1 inch loaf. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and stir together egg white and 1 tsp. water.
- Brush over dough. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till light brown. Cool on sheet for 1 hour and then cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch slices.
- Place the slices with their cut side up on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 325F oven for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 10 to 13 minutes more or till crisp. Cool on wire racks.
- Serve with wine or coffee for dunking.