- 1-1/2 cups crabmeat
- 1 kg Shrimp, in shells
- 3 quarts Water
- 2 small Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 small Onion (cut in wedges)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper as per taste
- Parsley as per taste
- 1 kg Okra (sliced)
- 4 tbsp Bacon Grease (divided)
- 4 Tomatoes (peeled & chopped)
- 2 Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 Green Peppers (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 4 tbsp Brown Roux( Butter)
- Reserved shrimp stock
- Take a large vessel and add water into it. Bring it to boil and then add bay leaves, lemon juice, onion wedges, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Wash shrimps and add to the vessel. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now peel the shrimps and return shells to the stock for later use.
- Put shrimp and crab meat in refrigerator until ready to add to the gumbo.
- Take a large heavy skillet and grease it with oil. Sauté okra till it turns darker and tender.
- Transfer the okra to a heated pot and add tomatoes. Stir and mix together well.
- Clean skillet and heat remaining 2 tablespoons bacon grease.
- Saute chopped onions, green pepper, and red pepper. When soft, add to the pot.
- Now in a saucepan, warm the roux; strain shrimp stock and stir into the roux. When well-blended, add to the large stew pot with the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more strained stock if needed.
- Taste and add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley to taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours longer; add the shrimp and crab meat and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Serve with fresh boiled rice in soup bowls.