- 4 Eggs
- 8 tbsp Butter
- 120 ml Warm Milk
- 140 gram Currants
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour warmed/ sieved with 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar (superfine granulated)
- 3 tbsp Yeast creamed with a teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
- A pinch of Caster Sugar (superfine granulated) for finishing
- Add half of the butter and sugar to the warmed flour and rub to smoothen.
- Beat the eggs and then add the milk and creamed yeast to it.
- Now knead the flour using above-made liquid until smooth. Keep aside for 1-1/2 hour for fermentation.
- Knead the dough lightly into shape on a floured board and roll out to a square.
- Soften the remaining butter and spread over the dough with some of the remaining sugar, then fold and roll out again.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar, currants and spice. Now, with the hands, roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Cut this into slices of about 1-1/2 inches. Lay the slices flat close together on a warm, greased tin in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the buns with sugar. Let the buns cool.
- Chelsea Buns are ready to serve.