- 6 cups Stale Mexican Bread (cut into large chunks)
- 1 cup Raisins (soaked in warm water to soften)
- 2 large Apples (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco (crumbled)
- 2/3 cup Pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1-1/4 cup Water
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Anise Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1/4 cup Sherry
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 pinch Salt
- Take butter in a large sauté pan and heat it over medium flame till it gets melted.
- Add the bread pieces and fry them until golden.
- Now take a small saucepan, combine water, anise seeds and cinnamon stick. Boil gently until the liquid becomes syrupy, about 6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, pecans, raisins, zest and cheese.
- Sprinkle cloves and cinnamon over the top of the fruit mixture and toss to incorporate. Add in bread and carefully fold all ingredients together.
- Pour half of the bread mixture into a large, buttered baking dish and pour half of the syrup over it. Add the remaining bread mixture and the remaining syrup.
- Bake for 35 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg yolks until foamy and smooth. Add in milk, salt and 1/4 cup sherry.
- Whisk until smooth. Pour over partially cooked bread and bake for another 35 minutes or until top is golden.