Mushroom and Barley Soup
- 1/3 cup Barley (soaked overnight in cold water)
- 5 cups Sliced Mixed Fresh Mushrooms
- 4-1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 3 Shallots (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Dried Mushrooms
- 2 tsp Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp Dijon style mustard
- 2/3 cup Boiling Water
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup Apple Juice
- 1 Bay leaf
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Drain excess water from barley and keep it aside.
- Now heat a large pan, add barley and stock into it and bring it to a boil.
- Now reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile soak the dried mushrooms in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- After the specific time period, take out the mushrooms, reserving liquid. Chop the taken out mushrooms.
- Now take oil in a large pan; add chopped shallots, thyme and mushrooms to it.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then add cider and boil rapidly until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add barley with stock, reserved dried mushrooms liquid, bay leaf and mustard to pan. Cover the pan.
- Simmer for 1 minute. Discard the bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with whole wheat rolls.