French Lentil Soup
- 3 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Onions (chopped)
- 1 cup Celery Stalks (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Celery Leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Carrots (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1-1/4 cup Lentils (rinsed, drained)
- 400 gms Diced Tomatoes in juice
- Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, celery, carrots, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to brown, or for about 15 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils and tomatoes with juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and simmer until lentils are tender, or for about 35 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups of this mixture (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth.
- Return puree to the soup in the pan. If the soup is too thick, then add about 1/4 cup of broth to it.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper and a splash of vinegar, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped celery leaves.