- 1 ½ cup Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Cauliflower
- ½ cup Green Peas
- ½ cup Beans (chopped into small pieces)
- 2 Capsicum (chopped)
- 2 Potatoes (boiled)
- 2 Onions (quartered)
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 1 cup Curd
- 1 Cinnamon (dalchini) Stick
- 2 Cloves (laung)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Cardamoms.
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Haldi (turmeric) Powder
- 4 whole Black Peppers
- 1 tsp Garlic (grated)
- 1 tsp Ginger (grated)
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 1 tbsp Coriander (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 10 Almonds
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Boil the cauliflower, peas and beans together with salt and keep it aside.
- Soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the water and mix salt with the rice. Spread it on a plate.
- Take a pan and heat ghee in it. Add onions and fry till they turn brown.
- Take out the fried onions and keep it aside.
- Separately fry cashews till light brown and the capsicums till they become soft and keep aside.
- Take a big vessel and heat 6 cups of water in it.
- Add the pepper, cloves, cardamoms, bay leaves and salt.
- Bring it to boil and then add rice. Cook for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Take out the rice and spread it in a large plate.
- Blend the quartered onion, garlic and ginger into a fine paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan and put the paste in it.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, haldi powder, garam masala, hing, onion and boiled vegetables.
- Saute till the oil separates.
- Now add the beaten curd and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes.
- Mix well and keep side.
- Take a handi (earthen pot) and grease the inside of the pot with ghee.
- Spread a layer of rice at the bottom of the pot.
- Now spread evenly the cooked vegetables on the rice.
- Take a bowl and mix in it capsicum, fried onions, cashew, coriander and sliced almonds.
- Spread this mixture layer over the vegetable layer in the pot.
- Sprinkle half of the lemon juice over the layered rice.
- Again put a layer of rice followed by a layer of vegetables and lemon juice sprinkling.
- Repeat the process till the handi is filled.
- Cover the pot with a lid and seal the edges with chappati dough.
- Put the pot in a preheated oven at 130 degrees.
- Keep the pot in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- You must make a small slit in the cover of handi for the excess steam to escape.
- Enjoy hot Handi Biryani.