- 1 cup Rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal (Black Lentils)
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp Cashew, broken into small pieces
- 1 tbsp Curd
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Oil (as required)
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 Curry Leaves
- Soak the rice and dal separately in two containers in water for around 6 hours.
- Make a smooth paste of the dal in a mixer.
- Make a coarse paste of the rice.
- Mix the rice and dal paste and add to it ½ tsp of salt.
- Keep the mixture overnight for fermentation.
- In a pan, heat ghee and add cumin seeds. Once it sputters, add chopped ginger, curry leaves, cashew nuts and pepper.
- Now, put the above made mixture in the rice-dal batter along with curd. Mix well.
- Grease the idli plates with oil and fill them up with the mixture.
- Steam them in the idli cooker for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot Kanchipuram idlis with chutney.