Bengali Fish Curry
|Calories Per Serving:
- Spice mix:
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dried Hot Red Chiles
- 2 Whole Cloves
- 2 Green Cardamom Pods
- 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 kg Fish (cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 3/4 cup Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger (grated and peeled)
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- Put all the ingredients of the spice mix in a grinder.
- Process until finely ground.
- Now rub turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt all over the fish pieces in a large bowl and toss well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the fish pieces in it and cook until fish is lightly browned.
- Remove the pieces from the pan.
- Repeat the same with remaining fish pieces.
- Now to prepare sauce, add finely chopped onions to the pan.
- Fry until tender. Add ginger, garlic, and bay leaf; fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ground spice mix; cook 2 minutes.
- Add in water, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar. Stir properly.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually stir in yogurt.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return fish pieces and accumulated juices to the pan.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf and serve with hot rice.