- 150 gm Red Gram (Masoor Dal)
- 2 tbsp Jaggery (Gur), grated
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 2 tbsp Peanuts, roasted
- 4 Green Chilies (sliced)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- A pinch of Asafetida
- 6 to 8 Curry Leaves
- Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Water (as required)
- First add four tablespoon of water to tamarind pulp and make a dilute solution without lumps. Keep it aside
- In the meanwhile, boil masoor dal in 2 cups of water.
- When nearly done, add tamarind water, jaggery, roasted peanuts, salt and green chilies.
- Allow it to simmer, until the dal is completely cooked.
- Now, heat oil in a separate pan and add mustard seeds. When the seeds sputter, add asafetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds.
- Now, add the dal and cook for a while.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.