- 10 oz Plain Flour
- 5 oz Suet
- 6 oz Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 1 tsp Cream Of Tartar
- 8 oz Sultanas
- 1/2 Pint Of Milk (Approximately)
- 6 oz Currants
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- Square of Muslin Cloth (thin)
- Take a large bowl and mix all the ingredients in it, along with milk (except muslin cloth).
- Mix well, until it becomes soft.
- Now, take the muslin cloth and steep it in the boiling water.
- Allow it to cool and then wring out water from it.
- Spread the cloth on the kitchen table and liberally sprinkle flour on the inside.
- Now, take a large bowl and spread cloth over it.
- Pour the flour-mixture on the cloth and evenly tie the four corners together, with a string. Make sure to leave some space for the mixture to expand.
- Put this dumpling on the plate, places over a pan, which has been filled with boiling water.
- Keep the pan on simmer flame for two approximately hours. Don't let the pan dry and keep on adding water to it.
- When the dumpling gets cooked, carefully turn it out, on a hot ashet.
- Serve with custard sauce.