- ½ lbs each Skinless Chicken (breasts & thighs)
- 4 cup Chicken Broth, (reduced-sodium & fat-free)
- ½ cup Carrots (diced)
- ½ cup Celery (diced)
- ¼ cup Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 3 sprigs Parsley
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 medium Leeks, white and green (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup Pearl Barley
- ½ cup Pitted & Dried Prunes (cut in half)
- 2 cups Low-Fat Milk
- Take a stock pot and add chicken breasts and thighs, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, parsley and bay leaf to it, along with water. Bring it to boil.
- When boiled, reduce heat, cover and let it cook on simmer flame, for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Skim fat from it, as chicken cooks.
- Remove chicken and allow it cool.
- Removing the bones, cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Discard bones, bay leaf and parsley.
- Add chicken, along with salt, pepper, leeks, pearl barley and prunes to a pot. Cover and simmer gently until barley is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in milk, heat and serve hot.