Prawn Ambot Tik
- 1 kg Large Prawns (shelled & deveined)
- 8-10 Red Chillies (dry)
- 6 Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1-inch piece Ginger
- A lump Tamarind (golf ball-sized)
- 2 medium Onions (sliced thinly)
- 3 tbsp Vegetable/ Canola/ Sunflower Cooking Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Soak tamarind in half a cup of hot water and keep it aside.
- Heat a flat pan on medium heat and roast the cumin seeds, peppercorns and dry red chillies.
- Stir often and roast till they darken and begin to release a faint aroma. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place a pan on medium flame and heat oil in it. Add onions and fry till they assume a slightly golden color.
- Remove the fried onions from heat and mix them with all the other ingredients (barring prawns and tamarind). Grind these ingredients in a processor, to make a smooth paste.
- Squeeze the tamarind, soaked in water, with your hand, so as to release softened pulp in water.
- Strain and set the juice aside.
- Now put the onion-spice paste in a pan, on medium heat and fry for a minute.
- Add 1½ cups warm water and the tamarind juice.
- Bring to boil and allow it to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add prawns and cook them properly. Season with salt.