Toor Ki Dal
- 1 1/2 cups Toor Dal (Split Pigeon Peas), cleaned, washed and drained
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (methi)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida Powder (hing)
- 5 Fresh Curry Leaves, washed and torn
- 1 Small Fresh Ginger, finely chopped
- 3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
- 2 Medium Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- 4- 5 cups Water
- ½ cup Tamarind Pulp
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Salt, to taste
- Soak dal for ½ hr - 1 hr. When soaked, put the dal with 4- 5 cup of water in pressure cooker and cook it till it is tender.
- When cooked, mash the dal with its beater using beater.
- Now, add the tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt in it, mix well and let it cook on medium-high flame till tomatoes are tender and dal changes its color. Add water to it if required.
- Extract tamarind pulp by soaking it in a cup of water, then squeezing out tamarind pulp and then adding with water to get tamarind water.
- Add this tamarind water to the Dal mixture and allow it to boil for another 10 minutes or till Dal becomes sour of your taste. Turn the knob on slow flame when done.
- Now, heat oil in the pan and add mustard seeds, methi seeds and cumin seeds in it.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add asafoetida powder and red chili powder to it and add it to the dal for color.
- Remove the dal from flame and add fresh coriander leaves to it and serve hot with rice.