Onion Puli Mandi
- 100 g Madras Onions
- 1 Tamarind (lemon-sized piece)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Red Chilies
- 3 Green Chilies
- ½ tsp Asafetida Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 300 ml Thick Water (from washing rice)
- Soak the tamarind in rice water for some time, squeeze out the pulp and filter the water. Set aside.
- Cut the onions and green chilies vertically.
- Break red chilies into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add red chilies, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds.
- After they begin to splutter, add asafetida powder.
- Add onions, green chilies, turmeric and salt after a minute or two.
- Add tamarind-rice water once the onions have been cooked properly.
- Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.