- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1/8 tsp Asafeotida, ground
- 2½ lb Spinach, washed & chopped
- ½ tsp Turmeric, ground
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
To Prepare Masala
- 1 tsp Black Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Cloves, whole
- 1 tbsp Cardamom Seeds, shelled
- 1/3 Nutmeg, whole
- 3 Cinnamon Stick (2 broken)
- Prepare the masala by grinding all the ingredients in a grinder.
- Take a large pan and heat oil in it over high flame. Put asafeotida in it along with spinach and stir.
- Now, add turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt, and baking soda in it and cook it till all the spinach has wilted.
- Add 2 cups of water in it cook it uncovered for 25 minutes over a medium high flame. Make sure it is not completely dry.
- Now, turn the heat on low flame and mash the spinach with the back of spoon. Continue to cook it for another 10 minutes and water if required.
- Sprinkle the grinded masala on the top, mix and serve hot.