- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Tomato (diced)
- 1 Tamarind, marble sized
- 8 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Ginger (crushed)
- 2tsp Coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Methi Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 tsp Saunf
- 4 Red Chilies
- Soak tamarind in water and extract juice out of it.
- Cook dal in pressure cooker till it is soft.
- Take a pan and dry roast pepper, ½ tsp cumin seeds, saunf, coriander seeds, red chilies, methi seeds and then grind it to make powder.
- Take a saucepan and heat 2 tsp oil in it. When hot, put mustard seeds in it along with ½ tsp cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle, put 1 red chili and saute.
- Now, put chopped tomatoes, tamarind juice, ginger, garlic, 1 cup of water, salt to taste and the prepared spice powder.
- Cover it and let it cook till it starts emitting a special aroma of cooked masala.
- Add cooked toor dal, cover it and let it boil for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice and pappad.