Chettinad Mutton Curry
- 1 kg Mutton
- 100 g Shallots (Kunjulli)
- 1 piece Ginger
- 5-8 Garlic Pods
- 2 pieces Cinnamon (Karugapatta)
- 4 Cloves (Grambu)
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeerakam)
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds (Perinjeerakam)
- Few Pepper Corns (Kurumulaku)
- 2 tsp Chilly Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- ¼ cup Oil
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Onions (large, finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 Tomatoes (sliced)
- Wash the mutton well and cut into medium-sized pieces.
- Put shallots, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, pepper corns, chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder in a jar and grind them to a coarse paste.
- Use the above paste along with salt to marinate the mutton and keep it aside for about 30 minutes.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a cooker and add the marinated mutton.
- Pressure cook the mutton up to 4 whistles.
- Take a pan or kadai and heat oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves, chopped onions and sauté well until they turn golden brown.
- Next, add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well until they turn tender.
- Add the mutton and cook until the oil separates from the curry.