- 250 g small, round Brinjal (baigan)
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds, fried
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Roasted Groundnuts
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tamarind Ball, lemon-sized
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped
- Red Chili Powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 4 tbsp Oil, for frying
- Slit the brinjal from both the ends, without cutting the vegetable completely.
- Take a small cup of water and soak tamarind in it, for about ½ an hour.
- Now, grind the sesame seeds, roasted groundnuts and grated coconut to make a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry brinjals in it till they become soft. When done, keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat rest of the oil and then put ginger-garlic paste in it, along with chopped onions. Fry till the onions turn light brown in color.
- Now, add the grinded masala paste in it and fry for a minute.
- Put turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder in it and mix well.
- Add salt and tamarind juice, according to taste and mix well again.
- Put the fried brinjals in it, cover with a lid and cook until the brinjals are tender.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.