- 1 cup Butter
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1½ cups English Walnuts, divided & chopped
- 1 cup Confectioners' Sugar, for icing
- 2 tbsp Water, for icing
- Take a bowl and put all-purpose flour in it. Cut butter into pieces and mix it into the flour, until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Now, put sour cream in it and mix well. The dough will become sticky.
- Form dough into a ball and refrigerate it for atleast 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and in the meantime grease the baking sheet lightly.
- Prepare filling by mixing 1 cup butter (softened), 2 cups brown sugar, and 1 cup chopped walnuts in a bowl.
- Bring the dough out from the refrigerator and divide it in three equal parts. Keep the other two parts back in the refrigerator.
- Steadily spread the 1/3rd of the dough into a rectangle, and then flour it lightly.
- Roll it out to approximately 12x17 inches and then position it on the work surface, lengthwise.
- With the help of a sharp knife, cut 4 inch long angled lines along the long edges of the dough rectangle. Make sure that the lines are about 1/2 inch apart.
- Now, use 1/3rd of the filling to fill the space along the length of the rectangle's uncut center.
- Fold the 1/2-inch wide strips towards the center of the dough, making sure to move alternatively from one side of the dough to the other. With this, you will be crisscrossing the filling, in a braid-like fashion.
- Now, lightly press both the ends of the strips to seal them.
- Sprinkle 1/3rd of the remaining walnuts over the dough and repeat the process with the other two dough pieces.
- Arrange a kringle on a prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes .
- Let it cool for another 30 minutes and in the meantime, prepare icing by mixing confectioner's sugar and water.
- Drizzle icing over the kringle and serve.