Scandinavian Almond Bars
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1-3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Almonds (sliced)
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 325 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add in egg and almond extract and mix the ingredients, until fluffy.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Now, divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each dough piece into a 12-inch long log.
- Place two logs per cookie sheet, at a distance of 4-5 inches from each other.
- Use your hand to flatten each roll, until it is about 3 inches wide. Brush milk over the flattened rolls and sprinkle sliced almonds over them.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are light brown.
- Cut the cookies crosswise at a diagonal, into one-inch wide slices.
- Mix the ingredients listed for icing and drizzle over the cookies, when they cool down.