- ½ kg Fish (King fish or Butter fish)
- 2 medium-sized Onions, sliced
- 6 Green Chilies, slit
- 2-inch piece Ginger, chopped
- 4 Garlic Pods, chopped
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 12 Curry Leaves
- 1½ cups Thin Coconut Milk
- ¾ cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- In a small bowl, prepare a paste of kashmiri chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, and cumin powder, with 4 tsp water.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions, green chilies, garlic, ginger and curry leaves together.
- When the onions start turning purple, put masala paste in it (prepared earlier) and mix.
- Now, put in thin coconut milk, vinegar and salt and mix. Cover it and let it boil.
- When the mixture has boiled, put fish in it and let it cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the fish is tender and the gravy thickens, put thick coconut milk in it and let it cook on simmer flame for 3 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve hot with rice.