- ½ pound Ground Lamb or Beef
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup Parsley (chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ cup Rice
- 4 Potatoes (peeled and quartered in 4 halves)
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Place a skillet on fire and combine meat and onion.
- Cook, stirring continuously, till the meat turns brown and crumby.
- Add garlic and sprinkle parsley and salt.
- In another large saucepan, cook rice with potatoes, in enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, until the potatoes turn tender.
- Drain the potato mixture in a strainer and return it to the saucepan.
- Add turmeric and salt to taste.
- Mash the mixture until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Spread half the potato mixture in the pan.
- Cover it with the meat filling.
- Top it with the remaining potato mixture.
- If you desire, sprinkle some cinnamon on top.
- Top it with butter and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden.
- Remove and cut into squares.
- Serve hot.