Buttermilk Squash Soup
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread
- 1 tbsp Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2 pounds Yellow Summer Squash (cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds)
- 1 Russet Potato (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 3-1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Low-fat Buttermilk
- Fresh Chives (finely chopped)
- Heat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Cut the bread into half-inch pieces.
- Drizzle the bread pieces with oil and then sprinkle salt and pepper on them.
- Put the bread pieces in a baking sheet and bake for 13 minutes. The bread should be crisp and golden brown.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and then add the onion, garlic, squash, and potato and cook for 5 minutes, or till the vegetables are soft.
- Add 3 cups of chicken stock and then boil.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, till the potatoes are tender. Set for cooling.
- Pour the soup in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Sieve the soup in a saucepan and place on medium heat.
- Add the remaining chicken stock and the buttermilk and stir slowly.
- Heat for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chives and serve.