- 25 g Yeast
- 150 ml Water
- 1 Egg
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 300 g Flour
- 250 g Butter
- Jam or Cake Cream
- Icing Sugar (for the final glaze)
- Water (for the final glaze)
- Preheat oven to 440°F (225°C).
- Mix yeast with water, as given on the package.
- Add egg, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the flour slowly, until the dough is light and flexible. Set the dough aside for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a large square.
- Roll the butter between 2 baking paper sheets, up to thickness of 1 cm.
- Put the butter in the center of the dough.
- Fold each corner of the square into the center. Let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough out again and repeat 4 to 5 times.
- Roll the dough into a large square once again and cut into small squares of 12 x 12 cm.
- Place a little jam or cake cream in the middle of each small square.
- Fold each of the four corners into the middle. Leave the pastry to rise for 15 minutes.
- Glaze each pastry with beaten egg and put if for baking for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Mix icing sugar and water into a thin glaze.
- Remove the pastries from the oven and coat each pastry with the icing.