Karelian Rice Pasties
- For Rice Mixture
- 500 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 250 ml Short-Grain Glutinous Rice
- 1 ltr Milk
- 1½ tsp Salt
For Rye Dough
- 400 ml Rye Flour
- 150 ml Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 200 ml Water
- 50 g Butter
- 100 ml Milk
For Egg & Butter Spread
- 100 g Butter
- 3 Hard-boiled Eggs (mashed)
- 50 ml Parsley (chopped)
- Place a saucepan on fire and add water and butter.
- Boil the water and stir in the short-grain rice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the milk and continue stirring, until it starts boiling.
- Simmer for 50 minutes, till the rice is cooked.
- Season the rice with salt. Remove and set aside.
- Mix together rye flour, plain flour, salt and water.
- Work on to form dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, till it is about 2 mm thick.
- Cut into circles that are 8 cm in diameter, using a cutter.
- Roll out each circle into thin crusts.
- Fill each crust with a thin layer of the rice preparation, in the center.
- Turn up 1 cm of the side, to create an edge and pinch the edges.
- Repeat with other crusts.
- Bake the pasties at 570°F (300°C), for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix butter and milk to form the glazing.
- Remove the pasties from oven and brush with the glazing.
- Keep the pasties under a tea towel or greaseproof paper, to soften.
- Soften the butter and mix with mashed eggs and parsley.
- Serve the pasties hot with egg and butter spread.