Arugula Salad with Oranges and Caramelized Fennel
- 2 large Fresh Fennel Bulbs (trimmed, each cut vertically into 12 wedges with some core attached)
- 6 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 6 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- ¼ cup Sherry Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 Oranges (all peel and white pith cut away, halved vertically, thinly sliced crosswise)
- 2 (5-ounce) packages Baby Arugula
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together fennel wedges, thyme sprigs and 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss well to combine all the ingredients.
- Take a large baking sheet and arrange the fennel wedges in it, with the cut side down.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Roast the fennel wedges in the oven for about 40 minutes, until they are tender and brown. Turn them over once, in between.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Take a large bowl and combine together wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the fennel wedges, orange slices and arugula.
- Toss the ingredients well to coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and serve.