German Bread Rolls
- 2½ to 3 cups Flour
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 Egg White
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Take a large bowl and place 2 ½ cups of flour in it. Form a well in the center.
- In another bowl, mix together yeast, sugar and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the well formed in the flour, but do not mix it with the flour.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and keep it in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Add oil and remaining water to the flour and beat well, until mixed.
- Knead the dough well, until smooth.
- Add in the remaining half cup flour and knead well.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover it. Leave it to rise until double in size.
- Divide the dough into 12 parts.
- Grease and flour a cookie sheet.
- Shape each part into an oval roll and place it on the cookie sheet.
- Repeat with other dough parts and place them on the cookie sheet as well, 3 inches apart.
- Cover the rolls and let them rise to double their size.
- Add 1 teaspoon of water to the egg white and beat with a fork until it is frothy.
- Brush the rolls with this egg white mixture.
- Bake the rolls in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, till they turn golden brown.