Flat Fish with Salt
- ¼ lb (600g) Flat Fish, such as flounder, sole or pomfret
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Lemon Wedge, to garnish
- 10 oz (300g) Daikon (giant white Radish), very finely grated and squeezed to extract moisture.>br>
For Lotus Root Garnish
- 2 oz (60g) fresh Lotus root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (50ml) Sweet Vinegar
- 1 Red Chili, seeds discarded
- ¼ cup (80ml) Ponzu Sauce
- Have the lotus root garnish prepared several hours before its required. Make the sliced lotus root boil in water for 30 seconds. Have it drained later and mix it with sweet vinegar. Heat the chili in a dry pan for a few seconds and add to the mixture vinegar and ponzu sauce. Refrigerate the mixture.
- Clean the fish and make two deep crosswise cuts on each side. Put a skewer through the tail end of the fish and let it come out through the center and continuing through the head so that the fish has a wave shape. Sprinkle salt over the fish and press a little amount of salt onto the tail and fins.
- Have the fish cooked moderately over charcoal fire and take care not to damage the skin. Turn the fish as you cook it until it turns golden on both sides.
- Serve with lemon wedges, marinated lotus root and grated daikon.