- 4 to 6 fillets Salt Herring
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Swedish Spirit Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 5 tsp Allspice
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 to 2 Red Onions
- Dill Sprigs (for garnishing)
- Soak herring in cold water, for about 10 to 12 hours.
- Drain the herring.
- Mix together sugar, Swedish spirit vinegar and water in a mixing bowl.
- Add allspice, bay leaf and red onions.
- Pour the sugar dressing over the herring and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove and slice the herring in 1-cm thick slices.
- Place the sliced herring on a serving plate and garnish with red onions and dill sprigs.