Mongolian Stewed Garlic Relish
- 2½ tbsp Black Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese Rice Wine or Dry Sherry (good quality)
- ½ cup light Vegetable (or Chicken) Stock or Water
- 5 very large heads Garlic, with huge cloves (or enough smaller heads to yield 45-50 fat, firm Cloves)
- 2-3 tbsp Golden Sugar
- For Garlic Preparation
- Remove the outer peel and taking care that the thicker skin does not break which encases each clove.
- Mix the soy, wine and stock in a Chinese pot.
- Cook the liquid and cook it over a low heat and add cloves. Turn the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes. Add a little sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Cover the vessel and adjust the heat to maintain no bubbles in the mixture being heated. Stew the garlic for couple of hours and lift the lid in between to check that the liquids are not boiling.
- When done, remove the lid partially and let the cloves be there for another hour or so before eating. Swirl the pot occasionally to distribute the sauce.
- Pour the cloves at room temperature in a small bowl and spoon over a little sauce over it.