Russian Borscht Soup
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 pound Lamb Stew Meat (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 Onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3-1/2 quarts Beef Broth
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1-1/4 pounds Cabbage (cored and shredded)
- 1-1/2 pounds ripe Tomatoes (diced)
- 2 pounds Beets (peeled and diced, tops reserved)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 pint Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Dill (chopped)
- Heat canola oil in large stockpot, over high heat, until it is very hot.
- Add lamb and cook, until well-browned.
- Stir in onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until tender.
- Add in beef broth, vinegar, lemon juice, cabbage tomatoes, beets, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Then, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer covered for 2 hours, or until the lamb and beets are tender.
- Chop the beet tops and stir into the borscht. Simmer for another 15 minutes.