Norwegian Pea Soup
- 1 pound Green/Yellow Split Peas
- 2 quarts Water
- 1/4 pound Lean Salt Pork (in one piece)
- 1 large Carrot (diced)
- 1 large stalk Celery (diced, including leaves)
- 5 Green Onions (sliced, including tops)
- 2 tsp Salt (varies with saltiness of pork)
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Boil water in a large, heavy kettle and add peas. Keep the heat moderate.
- Add salt pork. Simmer covered for about 1½ hours.
- Now, add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer covered for 1 to 1 ½ hours, while stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, if required.
- The Norwegian pea soup is ready to be served.