Chicken in Coconut Soup
- 4 oz Cellophane Noodles
- 6 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1-2 red Thai (or Jalapeņo) Peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- 3 cloves chopped Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger, minced
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest, grated
- 1 tsp Lime Zest, grated
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 4 tbsp Thai Fish Sauce
- 1/2 pound Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts (cut into strips)
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (light or regular)
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- Place noodles in a bowl; add enough warm water to cover and let sit until soft, about 15 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Combine broth, pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lime zest, lime juice and 3 tablespoons fish sauce in a medium saucepan. Season it with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add noodles and cook 3 minutes more.
- Using tongs, transfer noodles to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to broth; simmer 3 minutes more.
- Add chicken and coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until chicken is just cooked.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped cilantro and season with remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce.
- Using tongs, divide noodles among 4 bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of pepper.